Software-based Border Router

Dennis Burgess dmburgess at linktechs.net
Sun Sep 26 15:10:53 UTC 2010

While Vyatta is a good piece of software for the Free version, the costs quickly increases as you have to purchase support and the version updates are few and far between with the Free version.  The production (paid) version though is quite nice.

Another option though would be RouterOS.  If it is a small site, doing BGP could be as little as $399 including the hardware!  However, most people that do BGP will need a bit more horsepower.  RouterOS will do your iBGP, OSPF, bandwidth controls, firewalling etc.  The software license there is $45 beans! Super cheap.  Hardware runs as low as $49 bucks to 10k depending on what you are needing.  If you would like, please feel free to contact me off-list and I will be glad to recommend the proper hardware.

Dennis Burgess, CCNA, A+, Mikrotik Certified Trainer
Link Technologies, Inc -- Mikrotik & WISP Support Services
Office: 314-735-0270 Website: http://www.linktechs.net
LIVE On-Line Mikrotik Training - Author of "Learn RouterOS"