Looking for comments

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jul 22 05:35:24 UTC 2010

On Jul 21, 2010, at 9:58 PM, Franck Martin wrote:

> [...]
In a home environment where do X on every host isn't workable, it's
rare that every is more than 1, so, it's do X on THE host most of the
time.

Windows defaults to privacy addresses on by default, so, that also
takes care of most of the environments where people have minimal
understanding of technology.

It takes some effort (minimal) on Linux. I haven't investigated what
it takes on Mac.

Again, this only matters if you care about address obfuscation anyway,
which isn't really security, but, does provide some (minimal and ineffective)
aspects of privacy.

The packet filter doesn't have to be done on every host, just the gateway.

> On Mac Airport Extreme it is "disallow outside to access internal machines", tick and it is done!

That takes care of the packet filter, but, it doesn't handle the stated
requirement for address obfuscation.

I question the value of address obfuscation, but, the people with that
religion will not give it up so I attempted to address the problem as
stated.

Owen