PPPoE vs. Bridged ADSL

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri Oct 30 12:18:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, Vince Mammoliti wrote:
> This current draft
>
> DHCP Authentication
>
> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-pruss-dhcp-auth-dsl-06.txt

That's what makes protocol wars so much fun.  With enough options, almost
any protocol can do almost anything.

As you know, I did my best to kill PPPOx at an ISP and in the IPTV
architecture several vendors were selling at the time.  I still
think that sometimes DHCP is the answer, and other times PPPOx is the
answer, but you can usually make either work if necessary.  And even
though I chose DHCP, the vendor needed to fix several things.  I haven't
kept track if all of them were really fixed.