PPPoE vs. Bridged ADSL

George Carey george at montco.net
Wed Oct 28 23:30:03 UTC 2009

We like PPPoE on the edge because we can use RADIUS to apply policy to
the subscribers for bandwidth management, class-of-service, SNPs, etc.
You probably have some of these features via your DSLAM, but we found
it easier to do via RADIUS with a web based GUI for our provisioning
folks. So if we need to snip someone's Internet and leave voice or VPN
packets alone due to an abuse issue for example, we can apply the
policy that references the appropriate ACL.

George