32-bit AS numbers

Azinger, Marla marla.azinger at frontiercorp.com
Fri Oct 9 14:04:54 UTC 2009

Hi Iljitsch-

This statement isnt entirely correct.  Im not sure if this is just a word smithing error in your email or if the management of this issue in the ARIN region isnt well known.  I can only address the ARIN region but in that region if there is a 16 bit ASN in the free pool it will be given out before a 32 bit one.  They are going to manage the ASN free pool by lower bit number out first.  Granted if zero 16 bit ASN's are in the pool then the only thing going out at the time would be a 32 bit ASN.  However, I just wanted to clarify for the ARIN region that 16 bit ASN assignments will not be halted. If they exist in the free pool they will be used.

Cheers!
Marla Azinger
Frontier Communications