32-bit AS numbers

Greg Hankins ghankins at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 9 15:13:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 10:31:52AM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> As you (hopefully) know, as of 1-1-2010, the RIRs will only be giving
> out 32-bit AS numbers. I'm writing an article for Ars Technica about
> this, and I was wondering about the perspective of network operators who
> may be faced with customers with a 32-bit AS number in the near future,
> and how the vendor support for 32-bit AS numbers is working out.
>
> If you send me info in private mail, let me know your title/affiliation
> and whether I can quote you or not.

Chris Malayter and I gave a presentation at NANOG45 earlier this year that
touches on some of the operational issues.

http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog45/presentations/Tuesday/Hankins_4byteASN_N45.pdf

We also started a Wiki with content based on the presentation that has
more updated information, including a current list of vendor support.
If you see a vendor missing, let us know and we can update the list.
Or better yet, create an account and add some content yourself :-).

http://as4.cluepon.net/index.php/Main_Page

Greg

--
Greg Hankins <ghankins at mindspring.com>