Why choose 120 volts?

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Wed May 27 23:17:59 UTC 2009

> On Tue, 26 May 2009, Joe Greco wrote:
> >> http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?edc=1036852
>
> > Great, you're the latest person to invent a way to present a 5-15R that
> > offers something besides 120VAC.  This is neither new nor novel, but it
> > *is* dangerous and risky, and in no way "solves the problem."
>
> No, this does NOT present 208v at a 5-15R.   Don't believe me, buy one and
> put a voltmeter across it.

I _don't_ believe you, because we've put a voltmeter across it.  I know
a number of cages where someone has extended a 208 or 240V service using
a monitor power adapter, a 5-15 extension cord, and an ordinary 5-15
outlet strip; the smart people put a BIG WARNING STICKER on it because
they know that the voltage present isn't 120.  The dumb ones are unaware
of what they've done and figure "my laptop works so all is good".

> I'll leave the FUD to others.

... and move right on to outright misstatements?

... JG