Why choose 120 volts?

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Wed May 27 23:40:39 UTC 2009

> On Wed, 27 May 2009, Seth Mattinen wrote:
>
> > Here's the L-G voltage off the 208v taps from an isolation transformer in a
> > system with no neutral: http://ninjamonkey.us/not_120_volts.jpg
>
> Not 120, but 90 give or take.  90 is at the low end of the acceptable
> range for common household 110/120v service.

Yeah, but that's L-G voltage (geez, did you even look at the picture?)
And Seth just finished telling us that it was 211 L-L:

Seth > "The L-L voltage on that same PDU is 211."

What's going to be presented at the neutral and hot of the 5-15R of the
monitor power adapter are the L and L.  Think about it.  Or get out a
meter and test.

> Depending on how the phases are balanced in your facility, you may see
> that fluctuate up or down, of course.  If you measure hot to hot on the
> same PDU, do you get anywhere close to 208?

Yes, Seth just finished telling us that in the portion of his message you
conveniently snipped.

> I'm going to suspect either
> your fairly out of balance, or you've got a good bit of voltage drop by
> the time it arrives....
>
> But since the concensus from those who haven't used this is that the
> device will present 208/240 at the 5-15 plug, I withdraw my suggestion and
> leave you to your own methods.   (for the rest, test it yourself)

For those of us who *have* used this, we're telling you that it'll present
208/240 at the 5-15R.

> I also won't argue using ground for neutral, that's like arguing bonded vs
> unbonded panels.

No it's not.  Only idiots argue for using ground for neutral.  In doubt?
Ask your electrical inspector.

... JG