Why choose 120 volts?

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Tue May 26 23:13:55 UTC 2009

Jay Hennigan wrote:

> Most of the rest of the world has 240v as conventional domestic power,
> and most server rooms or datacenters supporting >2KVA single devices
> have 208 or 240v available, so it makes sense for manufacturers of
> high-power gear to save the money on copper and connectors and insist
> on higher input voltages for full spec output.
We're all 230vac here in Oz (it's a compromise between our old 240v
standard and the Euro 220v one).  In Oz we basically have a single style
of outlet for AC for low amps and a couple of ones for higher amps.

The higher powered PSUs are much easier to deal with on that - everytime
we get ready to commission a new router etc for the US or Japan we look
in amazement at the endless list of NEMA plugs and voltage options and
different kinds of APC power gear we need to do everything.   It kind of
freaks me out - locking, not locking etc.  Admittedly I find the
standard 2 pin US style power connector somewhat wobbly and scary - ours
seems to lock in much better.

Since we get the same gear as North America mostly almost all of it
copes with 90v to 240v AC 50/60hz.   It's rare these days to find things
without switching PSUs.

It's worth noting that despite higher voltages here there aren't more
deaths or injuries - but maybe it's because people take it more
seriously.  Admittedly no one I know is nuts enough to use body parts
for "liveness testing".

MMC