spamhaus drop list

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Jun 16 19:43:01 UTC 2009

On Jun 16, 2009, at 2:00 PM, Quinn Mahoney wrote:

> Is there a competing droplist, that can be compared against Spamhaus's
> droplist?  That seems like an extraordinary claim, so I'm not
> satisfied
> with the evidence provided.  Is this not the best droplist?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.  Mr. Anderson gives
little proof at all, and not even close to extraordinary proof, IMHO.

My personal experience is that Spamhaus is highly respectable
organization.  They are by no means perfect, but I trust their
judgement to a high degree, FWIW.  The Spamhaus DNSRBLs are, I
believe, the most used on the Internet.  This suggests the rest of the
Internet has a different opinion than Mr. Anderson.

I have not used MAPS, so I cannot comment on its utility.  but I have
never heard a single credible claim Mr. Vixie is a spammer, more or
less a verifiable one.  (Yes, that includes the claim below.)  From my
personal experience, Mr. Vixie is very much the opposite of a
spammer.  Mr. Vixie gave the Keynote speech at the NANOG conference
yesterday, so I would submit the community at large disagrees with Mr.
Anderson's assessment.

SORBS is probably not as highly regarded as Spamhaus, but as with
Vixie, not one credible claim has ever been made that Michelle is a
spammer, including the below.  Again, the opposite is reality, and
probably to the same extent as Vixie.  (I.e. Some people think they go
too far in fighting spam, not in sending it.)

Finally, John Levine is not a spammer either.  I'm kinda tired of
giving proof, so take my word for it, or not, as you please.

Anyway, just some personal opinions from someone who has had personal
interaction with the people involved and used two of the three
products mentioned.  Not sure this was operational, but I felt the
need to step up and defend people after you forwarded the outrageous
claims below to the list.  (No one on the list saw Mr. Anderson's
claims other than you, because you were personally CC'ed.)

End of day, your network, your choice.  I think you know mine.

--
TTFN,
patrick