Using twitter as an outage notification

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Sun Jul 5 10:12:38 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 05, 2009, Roland Perry wrote:

> Unfortunately, the number of students polling the website for news means
> it can't cope with the traffic. I don't believe they can justify paying
> more for better web hosting, just to manage this once-a-year half hour
> event.

Is Twitter making a profit or not?

This discussion about (ab)using a publicly available message system which
isn't currently being charged for would makes me worried^Wamused as hell.

(Not that I can't see possible ways of making money off twitter - especially
if you offer reliable message dissemination services to companies for a fee,
but AFAIK they aren't doing this at the moment.)

Adrian