Using twitter as an outage notification

Roland Perry lists at
Sun Jul 5 05:01:43 CDT 2009

In article
<frnkblk at> writes
>When the local power companies uses twitter, then maybe I'll consider using
>twitter for our customers.

That's a poor example as far as the UK's concerned. You can't get
information from the power company for days if you are a domestic

>There's the temptation by some of companies to leverage the latest
>technology to appear "cool" and "in tune" with customers, but by far and
>large, when something goes down customers either do no nothing, wait, or
>call in.  I think the best use of everyone's time is to make sure their call
>center/support desk has the capability to post an announcement to those that
>call in.

It's a High School. They don't have a "support desk" (or more than
handful of phone lines [1]). Even the local radio station can't cope
with one call per school asking them to broadcast the news that they
have closed due to bad weather.

>And then make sure something gets posted to the website.

Unfortunately, the number of students polling the website for news means
it can't cope with the traffic. I don't believe they can justify paying
more for better web hosting, just to manage this once-a-year half hour

Roland Perry