Cogent (was the poetry thread)

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Jan 12 20:05:44 UTC 2009

On Jan 12, 2009, at 2:53 PM, Martin List-Petersen wrote:
> Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
>>>
>>> (resend due to subject filter)
>>>
>>> Plus if you had direct connectivity to Cogent, their peering
>>> status with
>>> others wouldn't affect you anymore. Personally, I've seriously
>>> considered this as a reason to get a connection from Cogent.
>>
>> If you are not single-homed, you have no issues reaching Cogent even
>> during a "peering war" - unless Cogent depeers / gets depeered from
>> -both- (all) of your upstreams at the same time.  So what value is
>> there
>> to add Cogent?
>
> The value is, that Cogent pretty much is the cheapest transit you can
> get out there vs. paying a premium for carriers that have less clue
> and
> more outages.

Sorry for being imprecise.  I meant that adding Cogent does not
significantly improve your reachability.  Choosing to buy from Cogent
because they depeer / get depeered occasionally is silly, IMHO.

To be clear, I am making no comment on Cogent's overall performance.
If you find value in adding a provider for other reasons (cost,
performance, etc.), I would not argue against it.

--
TTFN,
patrick