v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space

Roger Marquis marquis at roble.com
Thu Feb 5 22:44:22 UTC 2009

Owen DeLong wrote:
> You are wrong....
> Quoting from RFC 1597 (a precursor which was obsoleted by RFC 1918):

Ok, I was wrong.  RFC1597 is dated 1994 and I thought the earliest
references were 1995/96.  The point I was trying to make is that RFC1918
and precursors were not motivated solely by address space limits.  They
were also motivated by the increasingly common practice of numbering
internal networks with unassigned public address space.  Random assignments
of IP blocks had begun years before RFC1597 and were occurring in
increasing numbers.

"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it" or so the saying goes.
Force consumers internal networks to be publicly routable and you will see
history repeat itself.

Roger Marquis