v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Feb 5 22:58:47 UTC 2009

Roger Marquis wrote:
> references were 1995/96.  The point I was trying to make is that RFC1918
> and precursors were not motivated solely by address space limits.  They
> were also motivated by the increasingly common practice of numbering
> internal networks with unassigned public address space.  Random assignments
> of IP blocks had begun years before RFC1597 and were occurring in
> increasing numbers.

It is a good thing then, that IPv6 has RFC4193 addressing, then. Which I
believe most organization will like a LOT better due to the decreased
chance of conflict during private network interconnects.

Of course, there are several aspects to using local addressing without
NAT. There is nothing to say you can't use a proxy server. You can have
local addressing and global addressing on the same systems if you so
choose. Then again, who's taking bets on the fact that vendors will not
use NAT anyways.

Jack