Leaving public peering?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Dec 2 21:21:03 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Lasher, Donn wrote:

> that enough of a reason to increase hop-count, latencies, etc?

In what way is hop-count a valid measurement of network
preformance/quality?

Today with gigabit links serialisation-delay is a non-issue so hop-count
is not important anymore.

Regarding your question there, I don't know what size of players you're
talking about, but I'd imagine that having 3-4 engineers who knows BGP
that can be on-call is actually more expensive compared to less people who
needs to know about this and you just buy cheap transit... At least this
is true for some small and mid-sized players.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se