Leaving public peering?

Shon Elliott shon at unwiredbb.com
Wed Dec 2 22:40:30 UTC 2009

Just to chime in on this subject. We're at Equinix in San Jose. For
access to the peering at their facility, they charge a $1000 MRC Fee,
plus another $250 MRC for a cross-connect for GE port. I believe they
also charge a $1000 NRC fee as well. Private peering would be an option
if they didn't charge for every cross-connect a monthly fee. That fee is
pretty high to small people like us, which really prevents us from
entering the peering stages we'd love to have at this point. If we had
private peering, we'd have to pay the fee regardless. $250/mo is quite a
lot. Especially if you're talking at dollars per meg.

It doesn't make sense.

-S