One Can't Have It Both Ways Re: Streamline the CG-NAT Re: EzIP Re: IPv4 address block

Brian Knight ml at knight-networks.com
Mon Jan 15 16:18:23 UTC 2024

On 2024-01-13 04:03, Brett O'Hara wrote:

> They have no interest in trying new things or making new technology
> work without a solid financial reason and there is none for them
> implementing ipv6.

When I left $DAYJOB-1 almost 2 years ago, they had just finished
increasing fees on IPv4 blocks (larger than /29) that had already been
assigned to customers.

This wasn't on new assignments only. It was applied to all Internet
customers with /28 and larger assignments that were already assigned and
working at the time of the increase.

I know $DAYJOB-1 weren't alone in the NSP industry.

Also, one very large cloud provider I use for personal projects is
charging additional fees for IPv4 starting this year. My cost for (3)
IPv4 addresses went from zero to $10.80/mo/ip, jacking up my bill about
20%. These were IPs assigned to my services 6-7 years ago.

There is a financial reason looming. I grant you that, at the moment, it
may still be low enough to be considered "cost of doing business" for
nearly all enterprises. But it's exerting force like a glacier does;
slowly, irregularly, yet inexorably; so it can be difficult to see.

-Brian