U.S. test of national alerts on Oct. 4 at 2:20pm EDT (1820 UTC)

Collider large.hadron.collider at gmx.com
Fri Oct 6 05:50:49 UTC 2023

While I agree with the thrust of what Sabri is saying, let's not delude ourselves - this is not a freedom of speech/"1st amdt." issue. The freedom of the press does not mean the government is obligated not to favour given presses (to include its own). That one's religion - freedom of religion means the government cannot (dis)favour any religion to be practiced by any given person (except, in many European countries, the King).

This is primarily a disability rights or equal protection issue (a disabled person should be able to choose some aspects of an emergency alert e.g. strobing their lights rather than firing a siren, or doing neither if their response to the startle response would train them to hit dismiss w/o reading, by which point the alert isn't saved as a notification). Disability rights frankly are not widely recognized by governments, even where laws exist.

There's also the risk that this could create false alarm over non-alarming circumstances used spuriously by parties with alerting access.