Do ISP's collect and analyze traffic of users?

Livingood, Jason Jason_Livingood at comcast.com
Wed May 17 14:38:59 UTC 2023

> Why would there be a difference between wireless and wired?

Service provisioning in a mobile network is at the device level and tied to an individual vs. at a home shared across many devices & people. So just starting off there is more visibility to say X traffic is related to Y person. Then there’s location data to know roughly where that person/device is traveling. Also most carriers have software installed on the device as part of the provisioning/authentication function and I think there are historical cases where that provided some visibility into other apps on the device. In any case, it seems the most value (to advertisers & data brokers) is in the location data and I think that’s where all the scrutiny on MNOs has been recently.

JL