Routed optical networks

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu May 11 14:23:52 UTC 2023

On 5/11/23 13:45, Etienne-Victor Depasquale via NANOG wrote:

> To clarify the table I linked to in the previous email:
>
> Cisco estimates IP traffic exchanged over the access network by both
> businesses and consumers with:
>
> • endpoints over managed networks and
> • endpoints over unmanaged networks (“Internet traffic”).
>
> Both the mobile access network and the fixed access network are
> considered.
>
> Cisco considers IP traffic over managed networks to be characterized
> by passage through a single service provider.
> Without explicitly referring to quality of service (QoS),
> the implication is clearly that the traffic is controlled to meet the
> QoS demanded by the service level agreement (SLA).

So either Cisco think/though that the only operators worth
surveying/predicting were the large ones (NTT, Telia, Tata, Lumen,
Cogent, e.t.c.), or that on-net MPLS/VPN traffic was more significant
than public IP Transit both in terms of revenue and strategic direction
of the operators they surveyed/predicated.

Either way, I'd imagine any results based on those data points would be
incomplete, at least from a real-world standpoint.

> In contrast, “Internet traffic” crosses provider domains;
> typically, this traffic is delivered on the basis of providers’ best
> effort.
> These two kinds of traffic complement one another and collectively are
> referred to as total global IP traffic.

In the IP space, this traffic type is quickly exceeding any historically
significant MPLS/VPN traffic, if it hasn't already.

Mark.