Aptum refuses to SWIP

Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com
Fri May 5 15:39:52 UTC 2023

The SWIP stuff I cleaned up included stuff from the pre-2000 period when
the internet was a kinder, gentler place.     NAT also wasn't a thing so if
a company had 1000 PCs you allocated them multiple /24s.   So SWIP was a
thing.    And yes,  it was how you justified more space.

Once NAT happened and we switched to mostly handing customers /32s and
started recovering larger allocations, the SWIP also stopped and the bitrot
started to set in.  About that time I became less involved due to being
pulled other directions so no one was maintaining the SWIP.    When someone
started whining about whois data being outdated probably 5+ years ago I
just went in and removed the swips.

An interesting datapoint is that last I checked our original pair of /24s
that were provided to us by our original tier 1 provider in 1994 is still
listing us in the whois data even though we haven't used that carrier or
the address space for 20+ years now.