Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network

Alexander Neilson alexander at neilson.net.nz
Mon Mar 20 15:09:07 UTC 2023

Hi Brandon

“ the entire ASN cannot be "blocked" just because there is a complaint on
one IP address”

Why not? They are being advertised by the same ASN so at least nominally
they are under common administrative control. Therefore if that
administrative control is not taking responsibility for complaints they may
be treated as a bad actor on the internet.

Also people chose to block / rate limit / etc things on their networks for
whatever reason makes sense to them.

I think if you have a customer or partner who doesn’t look after scams or
worse coming from their network you may need to consider disconnecting them
if you are not willing to be marked as the same bad actor for at least
passively enabling them.

This could still happen if they had their own ASN with their own netblocks
because if you are still providing transit to them and take no action you
may again be flagged as a bad actor.

We all have a role to play keeping our networks clean and positive members
of the internet community.

Might be time to have your customer / partner clean up their actions in
response to complaints or ensure that you don’t need a good reputation with
spamhaus to operate.

Regards
Alexander

On Tue, 21 Mar 2023 at 04:00, Brandon Zhi <Brandon at huize.asia> wrote:

> Well, those prefixes are not for their VPS hosting service (which cause a
> lot of complaint). Just like there are many IP addresses under the
> telecommunication company, the entire ASN cannot be "blocked" just because
> there is a complaint on one IP address
>
> On 2023年3月20日周一 下午10:50 Mike Hammett <nanog at ics-il.net> wrote:
>
>> If someone tries to break into my house over and over, I won't act any
>> different if they show up wearing different clothes.
>>

>> -----
>> Mike Hammett
>> Intelligent Computing Solutions <http://www.ics-il.com/>
>> <https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL>