Is malicious asymmetrical routing still a thing?

Christopher Munz-Michielin christopher at ve7alb.ca
Thu Mar 9 21:19:20 UTC 2023

Not this exact scenario, but what we see a lot of in my VPS company is
people sending spam by using our VPS' source addresses, but routing
outbound via some kind of tunnel to a VPN provider or similar in order
to bypass our port 25 blocks.

We've had to start blocking source port 25 to catch the replies from the
recipient mail servers in order to prevent this kind of abuse.

Chris