RFC6598 100.64/10: to bogon or not to bogon (team-cymru et all)

Lukas Tribus lukas at ltri.eu
Wed Mar 8 12:34:11 UTC 2023

>> They talk about bogon prefixes "for hosts", provide configuration
>> examples for Cisco ASA firewalls,
>
> Which are perfectly valid use cases for some networks / situations.

Absolutely, everybody's free to drop whatever they like on their gear,
I'm sure there are networks, gear, applied and documented
configurations out there that block 1.1.1.0/24.

That doesn't mean publically available blocklists need to misrepresent
their use-case.

The concern is not about networks that know what they are doing, the
concern is about the rest (and more specifically entities that don't
operate their own ASN).

Thanks,
Lukas