FCC Chair Rosenworcel Proposes to Investigate Impact of Data Caps

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Fri Jun 16 20:57:04 UTC 2023

On 6/16/23 1:36 PM, Josh Luthman wrote:
> Not everyone can afford $1000 to start up Starlink and then pay $130+
> per month.  That may be an option for some, but certainly not the
> majority.
>
> If 100% of a town was covered by a single company with data caps,
> those that are crying from hitting 1.2 TB/month will not be enough for
> a competitor to come in and build on top.  A TB/mo now is extremely
> high - In May 2023 we had 4 customers that exceeded that (all 4 of
> these customers mentioned are subscribed to <25 mbps plans; we offer
> gig ftth).

I get the impression that they are still in a beta/early adopter
situation so unaffordability might be feature not a bug to them to keep
the system from a success disaster. At least for now. I get the
impression that some/a lot of this is to bring the internet to the rest
of the world as one of their goals.

I do wonder how they are numbering them though. Are the they using the
same scheme that the mobile providers are using with ipv6? hmm.

Mike