FCC Chair Rosenworcel Proposes to Investigate Impact of Data Caps

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Fri Jun 16 20:35:59 UTC 2023

On 6/16/23 1:22 PM, Mark Tinka wrote:

> On 6/16/23 22:16, Michael Thomas wrote:
>
>> Won't Starlink and other LEO configurations be that backstop sooner
>> rather than later? I don't know if they have caps as well, but even
>> if they do they could compete with their caps.
>
> Maybe. I really haven't paid any attention to Starlink, although there
> are credible reports of folk testing it here in South Africa's urban
> centres.
>
> I have not heard of any mention of Starlink having caps as part of
> their service. Having said that, for services like this, things change
> as the number of customers using them rises.

I've toyed with getting it which I think I can do here in rural
California especially given that my ISP installed fiber and inexplicably
didn't change the rate plans from DSL (given that it's an older
population here, I doubt that any new over subscription would be much
problem). But the fact of the matter is that we don't seem to ever be in
the situation that our 25Mbs service is an actual problem.

Mike