New addresses for b.root-servers.net

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Jun 16 14:43:00 UTC 2023

On Jun 15, 2023, at 10:51 PM, Wes Hardaker <wjhns61 at hardakers.net> wrote:
>> At some point, somebody's going to want to do something with the old /24.
> You are correct that we did not state we will or will not be returning
> the address block we have back to ARIN.  We do not plan on returning it
> for precisely the reasons you've specified.

Long ago, I had suggested that given the peculiar and unique nature or root server addresses and their critical sensitivity that their addresses be treated as protocol parameters, i.e., that root service was fixed to those addresses by protocol specification.  People asked if I had been touched by the Bad Idea Fairy (RIP).  I still think it’s a good idea… :)

Regards,
-drc