ROV concern for hyper-specific prefixes (renamed from `Re: Smaller than a /24 for BGP?')

Amir Herzberg amir.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 14:17:35 UTC 2023

Thanks to Lars for this interesting input and results (which I wasn't
familiar with).

I want to mention another concern with the possible use of hyper-specific
IP prefixes, i.e., longer than /24, which I haven't seen discussed in the
thread (maybe I missed it?). Namely, if you allow say /28 announcements,
then what would be the impact of ROV? Seems this can cause few problems:

- If origin, say AS 10, makes a ROA for the /28, this would allow an
attacker, e.g., AS 666,  to do origin-hijack (announce path 666-10 to the
/28), and attract traffic for the /28 from anybody accepting /28
announcements (that didn't receive the legit announcement). Plus, of
course, you get more overhead in ROA distribution and validation.

- If origin makes a ROA only for covering prefix (say /24) then the /28
announcement would be considered invalid by ROV and (even more likely)
dropped. Also you get more instances of `invalid' announcements, making
adoption of ROVs and ROAs harder.

Just a thought... Amir
--
Amir Herzberg

Comcast professor of Security Innovations, Computer Science and
Engineering, University of Connecticut
Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/amirherzberg/home
`Applied Introduction to Cryptography' textbook and lectures:
https://sites.google.com/site/amirherzberg/cybersecurity