MX204 and MPC7E-MRATE EoL - REVOKED

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Jan 28 07:29:48 UTC 2023

On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 at 08:48, Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:

> Apparently, the shortage of chips for the MX204 and MPC7E is now resolved, and there is no longer any need to force customers to move to the MX304.

There is still just Micron for HMC, and as far as I can find, they've
not revoked their EOL. You can't find the HMC product page from Micron
'products' anymore, and hardly any mentions anywhere. Everyone is now
focusing on HBM3.

https://www.micron.com/about/blog/2018/august/micron-announces-shift-in-high-performance-memory-roadmap-strategy

Whatever led to this problem, and what led to this EOL revocation is
not something Juniper has communicated.

If I'd have to stab in the dark based on nothing, I'd imagine they
forgot HMC is no longer shipping, and then panicked and EOLd all HMC
boxes, until someone did more work, and gathered they probably can
support a few HMC platforms with existing HMC parts they have.
I would be very uneasy committing to HMC gear, unless I'd have a
better understanding of what the problem was, and why it is no longer
a problem. My concern would be, if they were wrong once to EOL all,
then wrong again to revoke some EOL, can I trust them now to have HMC
parts for any RMAs I have down the life expectancy. Not at all
uncommon to run a box for a decade in SP network, and Juniper released
all-new HMC gear, after Micron announced HMC EOL.

For HBM there is Samsung, Hynix and Micron coming up, so HBM seems
safe. Unclear how safe HBM2 is now, as HBM3 is shipping, for the life
expectancy SP gears have. Obviously most of the market moves faster,
no one is going to run HBM2 GPUs decade from now. We are a kinda
shitty market, few units, long sales times, long cycles.

--
  ++ytti