Smaller than a /24 for BGP?

Lars Prehn lprehn at mpi-inf.mpg.de
Wed Jan 25 05:08:37 UTC 2023

We performed some high-level analyses on these hyper-specific prefixes
about a year ago and pushed some insights into a blog post [1] and a
paper [2].

While not many ASes redistribute these prefixes, some accept and use
them for their internal routing (e.g., NTT's IPv4 filtering policy [3]).
Rob already pointed out that this is often sufficient for many traffic
engineering tasks. In the remaining scenarios, announcing a covering /24
and hyper-specific prefixes may result in some traffic engineering, even
if the predictability of the routing impact is closer to path prepending
than usual more-specific announcements. In contrast to John's claim,
some transit ASes explicitly enabled redistributions of up to /28s for
their customers upon request (at least, they told us so during interviews).

Accepting and globally redistributing all hyper-specifics increases the
routing table size by >100K routes (according to what route collectors
see). There are also about 2-4 de-aggregation events every year in which
some origin (accidentally) leaks some large number of hyper-specifics to
its neighbours for a short time.

Best regards,
Lars

[1]