Starlink routing

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Mon Jan 23 16:27:25 UTC 2023

Raymond / Jorge -

Thanks for that info. Quoting from the paper, that does match my current
understanding, being :

II. FEATURES OF INTER-SATELLITE COMMUNICATION LINKS AND DESIGN
> CONSIDERATIONS This work is aimed to design efficient ISCs links for a
> group of small satellites flying in cluster formation, in which 100∼150
> small satellites are deployed in a limited spherical space with a diameter
> of 100 meters at a altitude of 500 Km above the earth.

 The doppler effects in specific circumstances are solved for, yes. For
example the Iridium constellation has long done ISC, but only between birds
currently orbiting in the same direction, because their relative speeds
were close enough that the doppler effects were manageable.

What I didn't think was adequately solved was what Starlink shows in
marketing snippets, that is birds in completely different orbital
inclinations (sometimes close to 90 degrees off) shooting messages to each
other. Last I had read the dopplar effects there were so much larger due to
relative speed deltas it just couldn't currently be done. If there is more
out there on that solution, be glad to read up on what info anyone may have
on that if they can share.