Increasing problems with geolocation/IPv4 access

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Jan 21 01:02:34 UTC 2023

I will repeat what I have been saying since the first discussions of the concept of ip geo-location some decades ago…

An IP address is not tied to any of the following:
	Location
	Person

An IP address may be transiently tied to a host. The definition of transient in this case can vary widely from a few seconds to multiple years.
IP Addresses may be tied to an organization (though this is also usually some level of transient).

Trying to pretend otherwise in any useful way is fraught.

Unfortunately, it is not fraught enough. It works well enough often enough that the times it doesn’t work usually don’t impact the people monetizing it.

Owen