SDN Internet Router (sir)

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Thu Jan 5 15:55:38 UTC 2023

> "The right tool for the job" gets into a religious argument in assuming
> that one's way to do the job is the only reasonable way to do the job

I disagree that it's religious. I completely agree there are locations in
networks that having full DFZ capable routers doesn't make technical or
economic sense. But there have long been different products for those
different use cases.

To perhaps explain my viewpoint better,(and perhaps I didn't properly
comprehend the problem you're aiming to solve) :

If you are trying to use SDN stuff to shuffle routes on and off a box
because you have the wrong sized routers in place, then I would argue
you're doing it wrong.

If you are trying to use SDN stuff to (as Christopher mentioned) make
decisions that are not strictly LPM, and the equipment you have cannot do
that, then that's different and entirely reasonable.

If the second use case is more of what you were asking, then I apologize
for misunderstanding.