FIDO2/Passkey now supported for 2FA for ARIN Online (was: Fwd: [arin-announce] New Features Added to ARIN Online)

Justin Krejci JKrejci at usinternet.com
Wed Jan 4 00:45:42 UTC 2023

Very interesting news. Improving online security is a win and this sounds promising.

Never having used FIDO2 for anything I am left, probably not uniquely, in the dark for hardware device support. The only link I found on the ARIN website for "hardware keys" was a link to another ARIN page, which as of the time I am writing this email, results in a 404.

The page with the link to supported hardware key details near the bottom @ https://www.arin.net/reference/materials/security/2fa/2fafaq/

The referenced hardware key details page that is 404 @ https://www.arin.net/reference/materials/security/wfa/fido2

I searched generally online for FIDO2 hardware keys and found a lot choices out there. Are all hardware keys the same? Will all hardware keys work with ARIN Online? I realize this is a brand new offering from ARIN so I am not upset that there is little data of the sort I am looking for right now but I would suggest ARIN get some better hardware key information on their website for people who are curious about but have little or no experience with FIDO2 and hardware components. After reading this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIDO2_Project I am wondering, can I simply use a smartphone itself as the hardware token to log into ARIN Online? Is there an app needed to do this?

I then discovered this FIDO2 keys page from online searching: https://www.yubico.com/store/compare/ which seems like one of many pretty popular key makers.
I assume there are possible risks affiliated with buying unknown hardware devices and plugging them into our trusted computer systems: key loggers, data exfiltration, trojan/malware infections, etc. There are even SFPs with built in switches or ones running Linux within the SFP itself able to do packet captures and all sorts of fun stuff. All the more reason I would appreciate a list/suggestion of well trusted hardware token makers. I did find this on Microsoft's website that seems like an easy to digest breakdown of some key makers: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/authentication/concept-authentication-passwordless#fido2-security-key-providers

Is FIDO2 just another industry buzzword? Am I the last one on NANOG to get into FIDO2 and therefore I am just asking a bunch of moronic questions? I rather think not and this time it seems like it may be worth getting buzzword compliant.

I realize it is not the job of ARIN to educate its customer base on the ins and outs of FIDO2 but I think a little extra working information would be quite helpful going forward.

<https://www.yubico.com/store/compare/>Thanks to ARIN for implementing this, thanks to those that have pushed for the deployment of this protocol, and thanks to those that will respond kindly to me in my ignorance on this topic!!

-Justin