Google Speed Test

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Jan 3 15:46:16 UTC 2023

On Tue, Jan 03, 2023 at 09:31:27AM -0600, Mike Hammett wrote:
> Is there enough available capacity for {insert whatever the customer is trying to do here}.
>
> Can they run 4 YouTubeTV streams or can they run 20?
> Can they download a file at 5 megabits/s or 15 gigabits/s?
>

> There's not a problem to be solved, but information of a variety of types to be gleaned for a variety of purposes.

	Most SLAs only cover on-net services, I recommend having a good
on-net server for testing purposes and knowing your immediate upstream
and peer upstreams test points.  I do recommend that most carriers have
an iperf3/iperf2 test point.  You may find your carriers have one as
well, even if it's not listed in their support pages.

	I've found this useful when you suspect some problem, including
a link hashing problem that only impacts a few flows.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net