Reverse Traceroute

Rolf Winter rolf.winter at hs-augsburg.de
Sun Feb 26 09:38:58 UTC 2023

Hi Hugo,

correct. It is not so bad. But you are still raising a valid point and
we have been pondering over this and indeed this is one of the reasons
why we have posted our work here.

I think, if you want to mount an amplification attack, you would be way
better off using DNS :) A response and probe, as you said, is a little
more than a request in terms of bytes on the wire. We could easily
specify payload to be added to the request so that the request and the
respective response and probe as equivalent in size. Would you, or
anybody on this list be worried about amplification given that it only a
little bit more? This would be really interesting input to us. Also, I
think it would be worth while discussing over at the IETF.

Just as some additional information, we expect people to rate limit
reverse traceroute, which our implementation already allows.

Best,

Rolf