Reverse Traceroute

Rolf Winter rolf.winter at hs-augsburg.de
Wed Feb 22 18:19:42 UTC 2023

Hi Christoper,

I cannot/shouldn't really answer, since this is somebody else's work.
The latest publication on that body of work can be found here:

https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/3517745.3561422

Published at IMC 22 last October.

I believe a demo is actually online here: https://revtr.ccs.neu.edu/

That piece of work and ours differ in a number of ways. Whereas the work
you cite is an external system really, that let's you perform a reverse
traceroute through said system, we have implemented something, that
works just like traceroute does today, but for the reverse direction.
I.e. it works from your terminal, performing a traceroute back to you.
The system you mention has an accuracy of about 92% at the AS-level.
Since we perform the actual measurement between two endpoints we
identify the actual forwarding path, at the router-level, including
load-balanced paths.

But we use ICMP and would need code points to move forward. So if you
find this useful, discussion on the IntArea mailing list would be
appreciated.

Best,

Rolf