Can I do this in EVPN? (Multihome to more different CEs)

Adam Thompson athompson at merlin.mb.ca
Thu Feb 9 21:46:44 UTC 2023

The solution we've deployed is to use a VXLAN termination device at each location requiring multi-path redundancy.
Run VXLAN over isolated L3 domains, let IS-IS or OSPF handle path selection, including ECMP if desired.
If multi-chassis redundancy is required, pick a platform that can do MLAG or similar.

So for example, I have two sites with multiple VLANs needing to be interconnected, and for whatever reason I can't just use a LAG (distance, lack of transparent L2 service, whatever).
We would put an Arista 7k-series pizzabox at each end, one end could be an MLAG pair.  Terminate two L2 or L3 services on the singleton box, terminate each service onto one half of the MLAG pair at the other site.  Run an IGP (ideally IS-IS with BFD, but YMNV) and ECMP and happens automatically, as does handling single-path failures.
This could equally be a MLAG-to-MLAG setup if you have too much money and need to use some up.
Cisco vPC does essentially the same thing, as does Juniper's VC.  Extreme has something similar, too.
STP does not get transported across the VXLAN transport, so you now avoid all the inherent problems with long-distance or multi-site STP bridging.

-Adam

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
MERLIN
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
https://www.merlin.mb.ca
Chat with me on Teams: athompson at merlin.mb.ca