Typical last mile battery runtime (protecting against power cuts)

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Sat Feb 4 05:59:37 UTC 2023

On 2/4/23 07:48, William Herrin wrote:

> Pre-wired makes it a standby generator, which 9 times out of 10 is
> automatic start with an automatic transfer switch. It's running within
> seconds whether you're home or not. Electricians cost too much and
> 20kva natural gas / propane generators with an ATS don't cost enough
> more than the portables.
>
> Compare:
>
> https://www.costco.com/honeywell-18kw-home-standby-generator-with-transfer-switch.product.4000106705.html
>
> and:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Honda-2200-Watt-120-Volt-Portable-Generator/dp/B079YF1HF6
>
> understanding that an electrician will cost you $2000-$3000 for the
> labor with any genset modification to the house wiring.

Aware of all this - I operate one or two submarine cable landing stations...

What I mean by "pre-wired" is that, perhaps, the generator is pre-setup
and wired into the house, but is not in standby mode to manage costs,
and perhaps, to be reliable since ATS's are often dodgy.

Maybe a manual start is required. Maybe a changeover switch has to be
flipped. That sort of thing.

Of course, we are speculating, and Sabri can answer best.

Mark.