Typical last mile battery runtime (protecting against power cuts)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Feb 4 05:29:54 UTC 2023

On Fri, Feb 3, 2023 at 9:05 PM Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:
> On 2/3/23 21:11, Sabri Berisha wrote:
> > Living in an area served by PG&E, I've had my share of power cuts. At home
> > I have a 600va UPS that protects my cable modem, RPI router, and POE switch
> > which serves 2 APs. That lasts about 30 minutes, which gives me enough time
> > to fire up my generator.
>
> I'd assume it doesn't take you that long to fire up the genie, if you
> are home when the power goes out :-).

If it's just a little gasoline generator, 30 minutes is about right.
It takes 10 minutes to decide the power isn't coming back soon and
another 10 to drag the generator out of the shed, hook up the wires
and get it going even though it's cold, wet, and hasn't been run for
several months. That leaves 10 minutes to spare figuring out how to
convince the UPS that the generator power is good enough to retransfer
and stay.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--