Spectrum (legacy TWC) Infrastructure - Contact Off List

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 01:43:05 UTC 2023

There is "microtrenching" and then there is microtrenching. Very different
things are sometimes described by the same name. Some of what Google tried
to go was exceedingly shallow, like 4 inches down. Cheap microtrenching
done too quick and too shallow has given the concept a bad name.

There is microtrenched fiber in Vancouver BC that is close to 20 years old
now throughout the downtown core that is nearly problem-free. The
difference is that it is 12+ inches down and was installed using large,
noisy, water cooled diamond-grit concrete saws cutting deep slits into the
joints between streets and curbs, or concrete curbs and sidewalks,  duct
inserted, then backfilled with grouting. It's deep enough where it crosses
roads that re-paving the road by first grinding off the top several inches
of surface is extremely unlikely to disturb the duct.