Deployments of Provider Backbone Bridging (PBB)

Tarko Tikan tarko at lanparty.ee
Fri Aug 25 07:41:08 UTC 2023

hey,

> I've had two private replies, both of which suggest that
> PBB has little to no share in the overall pie of the
> aggregation technology space,
> nor in the overall pie of the core technology space.
>
> However, a third correspondent states that Bard (Google's "Chat-based AI
> tool") claims that
> PBB is deployed by AT&T, Verizon, China Mobile, Deutsche Telecom and
> Comcast.
> This correspondent warns that Bard "could be hallucinating" :)

AFAIK this reflects the reality very well. There are huge PBB
deployments in very large networks but the overall number of networks,
using PBB, is very low. Even in those networks PBB is/will be phased out
so don't expect any new deployments. It is still well supported by the
vendors who initially invested into PBB.

--
tarko