Hawaiian ILEC infrastructure and fire

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 03:17:26 UTC 2023

Recently saw an aerial video where an entire neighborhood in Laihana had
burned down *except* for the concrete block structure small ILEC CO.

Pictures I have seen of other ILEC sites in Hawaii closely resemble some
GTE sites in the Pacific Northwest (now Ziply), which makes sense with the
history of GTE in Hawaii.

Does anyone have some more detailed photos or examples of a telecom site
that's survived while everything else around it is burned up?

I'm looking to share this with some contacts in BC for rural telecom
purposes and disaster preparedness discussions.