BGP Books

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Apr 27 22:34:47 UTC 2023

On Tue, Apr 25, 2023 at 7:20 PM, Steven G. Huter <sghuter at nsrc.org> wrote:

> On 4/25/23 3:55 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) wrote:
>
> It has been a couple of decades since I've done any BGP in anger, but it
> looks like I will be jumping into the deep end again, soon, and I
> desperately need to get up to speed again.
>
> There seem to be a lot of good guides out there from Cisco, Juniper, and
> the like, but naturally they are very product oriented. What I'm looking
> for is more like the Stevens networking bibles (i.e.
> "BGP Illustrated Vol I and II"). Something that covers more than just the
> raw protocols, and includes things like RPKI. (The world sure has changed
> since the last time I was doing this!)
>
> Any/all suggestions welcome.
>
> https://learn.nsrc.org/bgp

Yes, this. Much of it (all of it?) is presented by Philip Smith, and he's a
sufficiently entertaining speaker that it's worth watching even if you are
already a bgp "expert".

As for books — I used to buy a copy of "BGP4: Inter-Domain Routing in the
Internet" by John W Stewart for all of my new hires —
https://amzn.to/3VdqdfK . It's really short and sweet, and covers just the
stuff that you need to know. It is old at this point (1998!), but still
well worth the read.