Standard DC rack rail distance, front to back question

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Apr 27 19:06:14 UTC 2023

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 2:38 PM, Adam Thompson <athompson at merlin.mb.ca>
wrote:

> Fascinating.  I’ve never had an ASR-1001 come with two sets of ears, and I
> also note that the text of the instruction manual doesn’t reference the
> rear set at all.  I’ve never seen rear ears on any Cisco gear of my own,
> nor on anything the local ILEC has installed either.  I think the diagram
> is in error here.
>
> However, the “optional” step 1 is a pretty solid hint (i.e. pretty much a
> clue-by-four upside the head, here!) that you really should use a shelf.
> As in you REALLY SHOULD USE A SHELF of some kind.

Hah! Your mention of clue-by-fours while we are talking about drooping
routers reminds me of one of my more useful tools. I have a bunch of bits
of 2x4 which I've cut to around 1.75",  3.5", 7".

These are really really helpful when trying to mount a piece of
equipment under something which is either not screwed in, or is drooping at
the back.
You can use these as spacers when replacing a bit of gear which is
supporting other bits of gear, or, with a small shim/flat screwdriver as a
way to jack up a devices which is drooping at the back (and so slide in
another device). There are much more elegant solutions (like a
machinist jack), but a few off-cuts of 2x4 are cheap, light, and
non-marring.

This thread feels somewhat like "old NANOG" - people discussing actual
issues that they run into, and then sharing tips and tricks to help with
those issues. I miss this…