Standard DC rack rail distance, front to back question

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Apr 27 18:13:11 UTC 2023

A bunch of devices (eg Juniper MX240) come with a "small mounting shelf" —
see Figure1, Figure 2 at
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/hardware/mx240/topics/topic-map/mx240-installing-the-router.html#id-installing-the-mx240-router-mounting-hardware-for-a-rack-or-cabinet

Their theory is that these get mounted on the "back" of the front rail, and
it supports the weight of the chassis. I generally just put these on the
font of the rear rail, and rest the back of the router on that. Seems to
work well - the chassis is narrow enough to slide if the cabinet is very
shallow, and the shelf is usually wide enough to deal with deeper
cabinets...

The other option is "Universal Rails" (AKA "those funny sort of L bracket
half shelf thingies") — e.g:
https://www.cablesandkits.com/racks-cabinets/rack-mount-shelves-and-rails/rackmount-rails/ck-rckmntrls/pro-18146