Standard DC rack rail distance, front to back question

Chris Marget chris at marget.com
Thu Apr 27 14:04:37 UTC 2023

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 9:53 AM Chuck Church <chuckchurch at gmail.com> wrote:

> for a Cisco ASA1001, there aren’t rails, but rather front and back ‘ears’
> you use to hit both front and back posts.

Front *and* back ears? I'm not sure what an ASA 1001 is (ASR?) but my
experience with these boxes is that they have a single pair of ears which
can be mounted front OR back.

The heavier / deeper 1RU devices do tend to sag alarmingly.

>  Is there a ‘standard’ distance between front and back rails that devices
> usually adhere to?

If you're thinking of setting the front/back distance to accommodate a
specific device, table 2 might be of some interest:
https://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/business/solutions/engineering-docs/en/Documents/rail-rack-matrix.pdf