Reverse DNS for eyeballs?

Lukas Tribus lukas at ltri.eu
Fri Apr 21 14:03:17 UTC 2023

Hello,

without PTRs you will probably get your prefixes listed in things like
Spamhouse PBL. So adding the correct PTR for a mailserver may not be
enough, as services like that love to classify entire IP blocks. Of
course Spamhaus provides the tools to fix this issue. But what if
there are 4 - 5 other services like that? Do you want to go down that
rabbit hole, everytime you turn up a mailserver in your prefix?

I also think reverse DNS records are useful when you have discussions
with content providers for all sorts of reasons like geolocation
issues or "VPN" classifications.

Of course whois/irr records are the proper tools for this. But if I
have to discuss my IP ranges with some first level support desk at a
large content provider, everything that stands out negatively will
impact my chances of actually getting it done and how fast it will get
done.

Considering how subjective IP classifications are, I will not return
NXDOMAIN for v4 addresses if there is even a small chance that it will
make my life harder at some point in the future.

Lukas