Re: ARIN RPA updated (again) to address TAL distribution (Re: ARIN RPKI services terms/conditions - Change to Management of the Trust Anchor Locator for ARINʼs RPKI Service)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Sep 29 23:11:58 UTC 2022

> On 29 Sep 2022, at 6:30 PM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>
>>> may i include the arin tal in my software product with neither i nor
>>> the user of the product being encumbered, signing anything, ... as
>>> with the other RIRs?
>> Yes.
>
> excellent.  thank you.
>
> [ and arin might ask itself why and how it took O(decade) to come to
>  this simple position; just in case there are other mis-matches between
>  arin's positions and community needs ]

Randy -

     It’s actually not a simple position at all, but a rather complicated set of
     tradeoffs that the organization has to consider (and periodically review
     based on changing conditions) by the Board of Trustees.  Even now
     there are significant differences in RPKI approaches among the RIRs,
     and that’s to be expected given the different legal environments in which
     operates.

     Note also there’s a variety of views in the community on nearly any topic,
     but ultimately the members have to elect those whose judgment they trust
     to the Board if they wish to have outcomes that they trust – as it is the
     trustees who have the fiduciary duty to organization and its community.

     ARIN has recently been reviewing quite a bit of customer facing legal
     agreements based on current conditions, and the result include both an
     updated RPA, and also the recently announced update to the RSA/LRSA -
     <https://www.arin.net/announcements/20220912/>)   If you have further
     suggestions for items you’d like reviewed, please drop me an email (or
     submit into the ARIN Consultation and Suggestion process if you want
     formal tracking - https://www.arin.net/participate/community/acsp/process/)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran